Sunday 17 February 2008

Seeds, seeds, and more seeds.

As the weather starts to pick up I guess it's time to start thinking about what to plant and when.

Over the previous few months I have amassed a fair number of seeds, and they have all been quite happily sat in my biscuit tin waiting their turn for planting out.

I though it might be a good time to list what I have - if to serve no better purpose other than to remind me next year what to do and what not to do.

Here's what I have still in packets (in no particular order):

Runner beans (saved from last years plant)
Broad Bean - Aquadulce Claudia
Kohl Rabi - Blusta
Celery - Lathom Self Blanching Galaxy
Spicy Mixed Salas Leaves (freebie on GYO magazine)
Brussels Sprout - Falstaff
Calabrese - Marathon F1
Cauliflower - Atyr
Cabbage - Derby Day
Onion - Ailsa Craig
Beetroot - Boltardy
Broc Pse - Red Arrow (no, me neither, but that's what it says on the packet
Climbing Bean - Blauhide
Leek - Musselburgh
Carrot - Early Nantes
Parsnip - Gladiator
Parsnip - Cobham Improved Marrow
Thyme
Sage
Rosemary
Oregano
Carrot - F1 Maestro
Melon - Emir F1
Pumpkin - Aspen F1
Garlic Chives
Broccoli - White Eye
Broccoli - Late Purple Sprouting
Sweetcorn - Conqueror F1 Hybrid
Winter Squash - Barbara Butternut F1 Hybrid
Squash - Avalon F1 Hybrid
Celeriac - Monarch
Corn Salad - Cavallo
Organis Spinach - Palco F1 Hybrid
Tomato - Gardener's Delight (another GYO freebie)
Brussels Sprout - Bedford
Asparagus Pea
Pomodoro (given to me as a present - they're the Franchi ones so it's all in Italian)

I also have some seeds from the Heritage Seed Library (who do great work keeping varieties going that would otherwise disappear). They are:

Pea - Stephens (chosen as that's the name of my father-in-law, Stephen that is, not Pea!)
Tomato - Tiger Tom (chosen as Tom was my late Grandfathers name)
Pepper - Traffetti
Achocha (also known as slipper gourd apparently)
Leek - Early Market
Broad Bean - Martock
Dwarf French Bean - Negritos (these where my "lucky dip" seeds)
Lettuce - Stoke (these are the seeds I was given on joining the HSL)

The only problem with the HSL (Heritage Seed Library) seeds is that there are no instructions regarding planting them. I'll just have to do a bit of research.

Now all I have to do is sort out what to plant and when...

I've got three varieties of potatoes chitting, some Aran Pilot 1st earlies, some Kestrel 2nds, and Sante main crop. As per last year I'll probably plant them out around St Patrick's day.

1 comment:

Paul and Melanie said...

Once the seed tin and the diary come out you know spring is just around the corner. :)